February is a good month for quiet reflection, for daydreaming about all the newness spring could bring to you. But it's also a good month to create gentle, quiet, soft moments of happiness.
So I am declaring it Winter Happiness Month here at The Hygge Blog and will bring you several happiness practices I've read about that seem perfect for creating those kinds of moments.
For those of us still dealing with winter blues, we need all the moments of happiness we can create, right? So let's get started. :)
9 Ways to Fill Each Day with Hygge Moments
"Think of winter as your time to hibernate and your warm home as your bear cave. Use the winter as an excuse to do all of those things you’ve been putting off. Become an expert at hunkering down at home and getting as comfortable as possible." -Patrick Allan
(1) Light a candle with a cozy scent you love - when you first are getting up, if it's dark or you don't want to leave the warmth, creating light & a scent you'll smell while you're getting ready may help. Make it a tealight if you won't have time to savor a longer-burning one.
(2) Make a big cup of tea - and give yourself enough time to delight in it, without the pressure of having to hurry because of work or an errand that beckons.
(3) Curl up with a good book - on days when there's nowhere to go, curl up on the couch with a good book to read while you're sipping your tea.
(4) Eat something homemade for breakfast - a warm slice of bread, a cinnamon muffin or two, or a bowl of overnight oatmeal.
(5) Sunlight - take the kids for a walk in the sunshine or curl up with blankets on the window seat or balcony.
(6) Movies - many families save movie nights for weekends, but since letting yourself be captivated by a story not your own can be a great escape, watch a movie every day as a celebration of winter. Make your weekends date nights, if you'd like, and save the romantic comedies for them.
(7) Hot chocolate - whenever you need a pick-me-up or you want to create a treat. Maybe after that walk in the sun?
(8) Get together with friends you love - in person, for tea or other goodies, or by video, if you are far away. Spending treasured time with those you love will brighten even the gloomiest winter day, won't it?
(9) Make a vision board - just for this month, of all the ways you want to fill it with happy hygge moments. Choose pictures of the things you want to enjoy, so you'll see them more easily as you walk by it.
Having winter blues means that the winter months will be different for you than they might otherwise. So, I think it's a mistake to try to treat those months as if nothing is different.
You deserve happiness, too, even in the dead of winter!
Love to you this month!
Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll put your feet up, have a cup of tea & stay for a while.